The Vegan Club

A private club for vegans to meet and relax in a (finally) cruelty free safe zone. Recipes, life stories, ideas... enter in the Club to find out!

Friday, June 16, 2006

Spotlight on a Website: DA VEGAN CODE


Shhhh... Don't tell anyone! Did you know of the exhistance of a secret society, named Da Illuminati di Veganique Ancienti, holder of the ancients, hidden secrets of Da Vegan Code?
As much as you may think I made it up, I claim not to know anything about it: KleoPatra, over at Pisces Place, a few posts back linked to this page (is she a member maybe?), and, since it is our desire to present you with the best of the vegan world, I had to dutyful investigate the matter.

For centuries Da Illuminati di Veganique Ancienti have preserved the code and kept it secret, bearing struggles and fighting battles: many men and women have died, others have survived, passing on their (vegan) children the bearing marks of Da Illuminati di Veganique Ancienti secret society, which is still thriving today.

Not much is known about them and their secrets are still hidden in the deepest mystery, but recently the society has revealed through Da Vegan Code website some of their beliefs, 'revealing that the code of ethics began long before carpenter Donald Watson first coined the word vegan and founded The Vegan Society in 1944. The Vegan diet and Vegan code of ethics that Da Vinci advocated 400 years previously shows clearly that vegan values are truly ancient and far from being a modern phenomenon. Da Vegan Code has origins reaching back to the dawn of mankind'.

But that is not all: a mysterious decalogue of rules (possible meant to initiate novices into the secret society) also appeared.

1) ABSTAIN from the Eating and Wearing of beasts
2) AVOID the Exploitation of all living creatures
3) Tread lightly upon the Earth for the benefit of People , Environment and Animals
4) Seek out Health and Happiness
5) With Knowledge comes Responsibility disperse it wisely
6) Vegducation is salvation - spare no one
7) Seek out the truth - The Sharpest Sword
8 ) Spread Chocolate generously - especially on Loved ones
9) See, Hear , Listen, Smell, Touch, Think - Taste Nature's Force
10) Shine brightly and Illuminate the World - Pity those swimming the Wrong Way for they may drown.

Pretty mysterious, uh? It's a secret society in the end (by the way, I especially like number 8!).
It is all too intriguing not to investigate further, so I decided to test it all out on myself and undergo the procedure needed to become a novice of the secret society: if I survive, I will present you an accurate report about the hidden secrets of veganism.
If I do not, I guess I should inform you now that Da Vegan Code, as it is, rocks! Their website is the funniest spin-off the much more boring Da Vinci Code I have seen so far and an excellent counterculture idea! Way to go for using mainstream mass products like this book/movie to promote veganism!
Also, if you click on the 'Shop' button, you are presented with a super exclusive selection of uber trendy t-shirts, aprons (one of my favourites: who would not want a kitchen apron saying "Secret Society Of Vegans"?)), buttons and what not, all shipping worldwide! So if you need an extra t-shirt, you want to check out their selection.
My dear fellow vegans, I bid you farewell: we may never see each other again if I die in the process, but may the though of your make me stronger in the hard journey I have in front of me: Da Vegan Code, here I come!



Sunday Update.

The mystery just get thicker and deeper.... an anonymous (they are a secret society in the end no? there are sooo mysterious) claimed that Da Vegan Code and The Secret Society Of Vegans are unrelated: well, nothing too strange here, this is obviously a move to make things as unclear as possible. I am telling you, we are already uncovering some of their secrets! Anyhow, if you want to investigate the matter further, the SSOV (Secret (keep this word well in mind!) Society of Vegans) has indeed a separate website you can view here (keeping in mind there are two links to this page from the Da Vegan Code homepage: things are getting confused... time to get out my Sherlock hat!).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are all still in time to drop by here and leave a quinoa recipe! Just a reminder!

11 Comments:

Blogger KleoPatra said...

Tres fantastique post...

9:40 pm  
Blogger t. said...

All thanks to you!

10:05 pm  
Blogger Virginie said...

I didn't know this webside. Seems like the vegan movement is growing and very active. Great news !
PS : I was thinking the same - N°8 is especially strange but tempting ! For sure, it makes of me a real vegan.

11:45 pm  
Blogger Dori said...

Cute, good for an enjoyable Saturady afternoon smile, glad I stopped by.

Kleopatra sure finds some cute stuff!

8:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love "Spread Chocolate generously - especially on Loved ones", mmmh, gonna give me some interesting ideas about bodypainting ;) :D :D

10:41 pm  
Blogger Kuntal Joisher said...

my favorites:
5) With Knowledge comes Responsibility disperse it wisely.
6)Vegducation is salvation - spare no one.

yayyyyy-hoooooo!!!

very nice post!!

8:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post!

7:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

da vegan code and the SSOV (secret society of Vegans) are two different underground groups, both independent of each other. They're ran by different people.

7:12 pm  
Blogger t. said...

I am no member nor I have friends in either, but they do not look so distinct at all according to Da Vegan Code homepage: two of the links from their main page link directly into SSOV...

9:44 pm  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I saw this on kleo's site too. I thought it was great. Entertaining and informative. Great post.


Teddy

3:01 am  
Blogger Dori said...

Hey T.
I just gave along answer to your comment about vegan cats on my blog.

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

29

 

 

 

 
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. Anatole France